Since the industrial revolution, human activities have been impacting the environment negatively by burning fossil fuels for energy, releasing CO2 into the atmosphere causing climate change. Nature has its way to mend itself so it is obvious that our planet will survive. The main question is will humans survive and thrive in the long term?
Rising awareness about the benefits of solar power has resulted in a large number of organizations and people venturing into the solar business. Today, there are many companies selling solar products or providing installation and Solar EPC services.
Solar EPC Companies? What are those? If this is an alien term for you, keep reading.
In the solar industry, an EPC company is used for providing end-to-end solar services from designing the system, procuring the equipment, and finally installing & commissioning the project to achieve the desired result.
Let’s divide the term and understand it in parts:
Engineering: This process involves a study of the client’s requirements, surveying the site, analyzing the weather parameters of the site, completing the system design involving electrical, structural, and mechanical, and determining the power generation capacity.
Procurement: Solar EPC companies procure equipment and parts from domestic and global manufacturers. This enables the client the freedom from the hassle of finding the right supplier delivering quality products at an optimized price.
Construction: The solar power plant construction activity involves mounting solar panels over the structure, cabling, and installing other equipment including safety system and accessories, grid/off-grid connectivity.
EPC is a detailed procedure carried out while installing a solar system as it is a long-term investment; hence the process needs to be executed in an efficient techno-economic manner through required expertise.
What do Solar EPC Companies do?
Solar EPC Companies design innovatively the entire solar power generating system, suitable as per the site conditions, robust module mounting structures that can withstand such wind conditions, and provide suitable safety systems. Using their bulk procurement methods manages cost and quality and in time delivery. Installation of the entire plant using a high degree of safety in an eco-friendly manner. They also are responsible for:
- Connecting the PV panels with the electrical system
- Covering the equipment to protect from weather conditions.
- Activating and testing the photovoltaic systems
- Routine maintenance of the photovoltaic systems
- The solar contractors use a variety of tools, both hand and power tools, for the installation of solar panels. The most common equipment that the solar panel users use are wrenches, drills, saws, and screwdrivers for connecting the panels with wires and frames and with the support structures.
What is the importance of partnering with a good Solar EPC Company?
- A good solar EPC company has sound knowledge about the equipment and the components that they are offering. In addition to this, they have an in-depth understanding of the technical details of the products, utility setup, and engineering from the project team & management team.
- An EPC should be well recognized and should get all the paperwork done for you. They should be capable enough to get the required formalities completed to install such a plant for you. At the same time, you should check the flexibility and credibility of the solar EPC by its experience of working under different conditions – geographic, terrains, and timeframes.
- An EPC company can be judged based on the number of quality projects executed successfully, the number of years they have served in the industry, their relations with vendors, utilization of best in class quality standards, environment, health & safety standards, and the satisfaction of the clients they have worked with, in the recent past.
- As it is equally important, make sure that the installer is fully aware of the statutory requirements and the state’s solar policy requirements.
- It is essential to be 100% sure about the EPC provider you choose; as installing a solar panel system is a huge and one-time investment. The lifespan of a good solar system is approximately 25 years. Therefore, ask for the company’s portfolio and a list of recent projects. You can also ask them for 2-3 references for you to contact.
To sum it up, it is advisable to select an experienced and reputable solar PV installer like Mahindra Susten. This way, you can ensure that you receive- a high-quality, well-performing solar system with the best after service for maintenance throughout the lifetime of the system.