The increasing adoption of Solar Technology has led to some innovative inventions and practical applications. One such application is found in solar carports. Solar Carports are an offshoot of traditional carports that provide shade and protection to a vehicle.
Solar carports use similar equipment as any other traditional mounted solar panels; therefore, they require a similar installation process as well. Scroll down to know more about Solar Carports.
What is a Solar Carport?
Solar Carports are a unique innovation because they do not require a roof or surface that the solar panel must mount to. Solar Carports are customized to include solar panels in their structure. The panels themselves serve as a dual-purpose solution for both covering the owner’s vehicle and for producing clean energy.
Solar carports are essentially taller ground-mounted solar panels. They are simply lifted high enough so that a vehicle can fit below.
What is the benefit of these Solar Carports?
The primary benefit of having a solar carport is that it gives you flexibility in the way that you can customize your solar project. When installing solar panels on a rooftop, there are many variables that may limit where the panels are placed.
- Minimizing energy expenses, resulting in significant savings: Electricity costs are unpredictable and prone to rate increases; a solar carport can help hedge against rising utility costs by lowering energy bills and making them more predictable.
- Reducing the costs of maintaining a parking lot: Depending on the design of the carport, it can channel rain and snow to certain areas, which in turn reduce the cost of removal and maintenance; this can also make the parking lot safer during winter by minimizing the amount of ice in the parking area.
- Reduce their carbon footprint: By installing a solar carport, your business can have sustainable operations that benefit the environment and the community.
- Efficient use of space: To install a carport, no additional space is needed; instead an already existing space can be utilized to maximize efficiency and increase comfort for employees, customers, and visitors.
- Adaptability: A solar panel carport can be used to fit the needs of a business. Everything from size to style can be designed by the business owner and can result in a project that pays off quickly and starts bringing immediate cash flow.
What are the different types of Carports?
Solar carports are also found commonly throughout cities across the nation in the parking lots of commercial and other public or private entities. Whether it is a corporation, recreation center, high school, church, or basketball stadium, parking lots all over are being converted into large-scale solar carports.
The way that these organizations view a solar carport is that it is an investment in their future electricity savings. The available real estate in a parking lot is a perfect fit for adding solar panels to a business or other organization. It brings value for both the organization and its members.
Public and private solar carports for organizations like businesses and nonprofits bring two main benefits: 1) They save the organization money through their energy production, and 2) They can direct excess funds from these savings into other relevant solutions like EV chargers in their parking lots.
What makes your Carport site solar feasible? Some feasibility checks we do:
- Shadow free area for maximum utilization of Solar power
- Type of Slant structure for Solar that is ideal for vehicle parking both from a cost perspective and customer preference.
- Deposits from the surrounding environment (chimney, etc.)
- Optimum Cable route from Carport area to Nearest Power Evacuation Point
- Study on DG working and necessity of PV syncing with existing DG
Are Solar Carports a practical solution to the world’s sustainability problem?
Solar carports are a very viable and straightforward solution that can benefit anyone looking to go solar. They are simple structures that serve as a cover for vehicles and as a source of solar energy production.
The simplicity of solar carports is evident when considering their basic form of just solar panels and a ground mounting system. This differs from the traditional carport in that it does not include a roof surface. At the end of the day, a solar carport is a great option for individuals who want more flexibility in how they set up their solar project.